Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pennyaline[_9_] Pennyaline[_9_] is offline

Default Frying question: Lard? Oil? Margarine?

On 1/24/2012 10:00 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Pennyaline<keyboard-kook@norsk> wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Not so. Margerine IS vegetable shortening/vegetable oil, and is
>>> better suited than butter for frying. Margerine is exactly the same
>>> as hydrogenated vegetable shortening but contains artificial butter
>>> color/flavor. The only reason that butter works well for frying eggs
>>> is because eggs are typically fried at rather low temperatures (no
>>> browning). Many restos fry eggs in margerine to save money.

>> What's "not so"?

> If you didn't so smarmilly delete what I replied to you'd know.

If you hadn't so smarmily avoided answering the question, we'd be done
with this by now.

I quoted what I was responding to in full. What did Jill's post have to
do with your response to what I'd written?

>> I understand that margarine is predominantly vegetable
>> oil, but it's the inclusion of milk solids and other additives that make
>> it unsuitable for deep or shallow frying.

> You understand nothing, zero, nada... there is no dairy in margerine.
> You are another one who has NEVER cooked anything... you have no
> business at a cooking group, or any institution where honesty
> counts... stick to emptying bed pans.

It's correct that many margarines are made with no diary at all. It's
also correct that many others ARE made with milk/whey solids. The one my
family has used for years is made with whey solids and always has been.
If you peruse ingredients lists of the margarine/spreads in the stores,
it doesn't take long to see which have dairy and which do not.

Perhaps you want to run a quick skills review of your own.