William Frazier

Default Planting grapes / was Where are you

richard white wrote;

"I live in a house and there is no shade in most of the back yard.
ect for on part right near the house and one part at the far back edge to
the
south where a tree shades it after about 2 pm."

Plant the vines where there will be full sun for as many hours of the day as
possible.

"so I want to plant them in the full area with a drip system?"

You said you have two vines. I would not worry about a drip system for two
vines.

"I can waight on most info as they are small. but I am after how far
apart?"

I don't know what type grapes you have. But, you can't go wrong planting
them eight feet apart. Six feet is probably OK. To get a proper answer
contact your local county agricultural office, tell them what type grapes
you have and they will know or will be able to find out the proper spacing.

"does the ground need to be cleard around them?"

Grape vines like to have clear soil around them. Clear a three to four foot
diameter circle around each vine. Keep the soil weed free in this area.

"how much water per day do I set the timer for on the drip system?"

Again, I would not install a drip system for two vines. Stick you finger in
the ground. If the soil is moist no water is needed. If the soil is dry
it's time to water.You can water them too much. On new vines in my vineyard
I check the soil condition and water them every week if there has been no
rain. Once the vines are at least one year old they can do with less
watering because their roots are deeper.

"are grapes one of thoes plants that need to have water sprayed on there
leaves?"

I avoid wetting the grape leaves unless I'm spraying fungicide/pesticide.
Best to keep the leaves and grapes dry to avoid disease.

Richard - I understand you are blind. If this is the reason you want a drip
irrigation system I understand. But, if you are able to go to your vines
and check the soil moisture level a simple watering can is sufficient for
two vines. When the soil gets dry give each vine about a gallon of
water...then check again in a few days. You will need a trellis of some
sort but this depends on the type grape you have. The county agricultural
agent should have this information.

Good luck with your vines.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA