Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default bounced mail

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 08:43:04 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Krypsis > wrote:
> >
> >> There are plenty of alternatives to binary NNTP services these days so I
> >> wouldn't be overly perturbed if they went away.

> > I don't use binary NNTP.

> There is no difference in protocols for binary and text.

Obviously, everything on the internet is binary. Let me reword my
sentence:

I don't use NNTP services that primarily cater to those who almost
exclusively transfer binary material rather than text.

I use three servers:

1. My ISP has a server. It doesn't carry binaries (but it has ABF and
a bunch of others). They only have 355 customers left who use it,
though, and it isn't cost effective. They said when the hardware dies,
it won't be fixed. I use it about once a week, to read three groups
that exist only on that server.

2. My ISP has a limited number of connections to Supernews. I can't
get it to work with my usual client. It works fine with Thunderbird.

3. I use Eternal September for 99.99% of my use.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA