Greg Cook

Default How do you sanitize your bottles??

On 4/14/04 3:44 PM, in article , "no" <no>
wrote:

> Sorry for replying to a very old post, but I am starting from the beginning
> of the list and catching up.
>
> So, say I order a case of bottles. I can sanitize them, stick them back in
> the cases and then store them till I need them and put wine right in? I had
> assumed I needed to sanitize right before bottling to kill any possible wild
> yeast or such before bottling.
>
> Also, what about loading them in a dishwasher with no soap? Will the heat
> of the water and the drying period be sufficient to kill anything off, or is
> there more to it that I am missing?
>
> "Lum" > wrote in message
>>
>> "LG1111" > wrote in message
>>> I'm starting to bottle last year's vintage, and I wonder how everyone

>> sanitizes
>>> their bottles. My local brewshop recommends using an iodophor solution

> as
>>> final rinse after using soap and water, but I don't like the ida of the

>> iodine
>>> smell in the bottles. In years past, I've used "One-Step" as a final

>> rinse.
>>> But I wonder if just washing the bottles with a solution of soap and

> water
>> and
>>> then making sure the soap is rinsed away is enough.
>>>
>>> What do you all do?
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Lee,
>> I wash bottles all year long. The clean bottles are placed points down in
>> clean cartons and the cartons are stored in my garage. When I bottle, I
>> remove the bottles from the cartons and fill them with wine. I have been
>> doing about 250 cases of grape wine a year for 20 years, and I find

> nothing
>> else is required.
>> lum

The wonderful thing about wine, is that it is its own preservative. That is,
it has a high enough alcohol content to protect it. And we use appropriate
levels of sulfite (SO2) to keep bad things at bay. There really is no need
to sanitize a clean dry bottle - the wine is a sanitizer itself.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)