Joe

Default How do you sanitize your bottles??

If you buy your bottles new, I would just store them in the box until use.
Before use, I wash with hot water and a bottle brush (really hot water),
rinse out anything that could be in there, then soak in sanitizer. Take
them out, put them upside down to drip dry for a bit then fill and cap (or
cork). After drinking the bottle, I will rinse really well and put it away,
upside down. I have used the dishwasher to clean beer bottles, but I still
soak in sanitizing solution afterwards.

--
Joe Romero
Panama City, FL

<no> wrote in message ...
> Sorry for replying to a very old post, but I am starting from the

beginning
> of the list and catching up.
>
> So, say I order a case of bottles. I can sanitize them, stick them back

in
> the cases and then store them till I need them and put wine right in? I

had
> assumed I needed to sanitize right before bottling to kill any possible

wild
> yeast or such before bottling.
>
> Also, what about loading them in a dishwasher with no soap? Will the heat
> of the water and the drying period be sufficient to kill anything off, or

is
> there more to it that I am missing?
>
> "Lum" > wrote in message
> >
> > "LG1111" > wrote in message
> > > I'm starting to bottle last year's vintage, and I wonder how everyone

> > sanitizes
> > > their bottles. My local brewshop recommends using an iodophor

solution
> as
> > > final rinse after using soap and water, but I don't like the ida of

the
> > iodine
> > > smell in the bottles. In years past, I've used "One-Step" as a final

> > rinse.
> > > But I wonder if just washing the bottles with a solution of soap and

> water
> > and
> > > then making sure the soap is rinsed away is enough.
> > >
> > > What do you all do?
> > >
> > > Lee

> > Lee,
> > I wash bottles all year long. The clean bottles are placed points down

in
> > clean cartons and the cartons are stored in my garage. When I bottle, I
> > remove the bottles from the cartons and fill them with wine. I have

been