Tom S

Default 5 gallon keg and Argon for wine storage?

"Alex" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was thinking about using a 5 gallon soda keg to store my wine when

the
> volume is less than I can put in one of my carboys. I would use argon
> instead of CO2 to purge and pressurize the keg (the lid won't seal without
> some pressure ~5PSI). Does anyone here do this and is there any reason

why
> this is a bad idea.

I use inert gas all the time for this purpose, but mainly nitrogen because
it's cheaper. Since you really need to sweep _all_ of the air out of the
headspace, argon's density doesn't really buy you anything.

I'd recommend that you find a way to seal the keg with less pressure. Inert
gases do dissolve in the wine somewhat, and they affect the flavor a bit
until they come out of solution.

Tom S