Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default bounced mail

On 1/4/2012 3:28 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 1/4/2012 3:15 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> That is true. My internet provider, the 2nd largest in Australia, has
>>> dumped Usenet and no longer provides access. Soon the time will come
>>> when only dedicated Usenet servers/services will provide usenet access.
>>> That fact alone will deny the vast majority of users access to Usenet as
>>> many can't get beyond a browser.
>>>

>> It's hard to believe that this remnant of the 90s has lasted so long.
>> Most people will be forced to migrate to GG as they adopt tablets and
>> hand-held devices. I guess someone could put out a killer NNTP app for
>> tablets and prolong Usenet but that's a little crazy. As it goes, GG
>> looks to be the only game in town. OTOH, I'm hoping for a wildly
>> unpredictable future rather than where all this is appearing to be
>> heading.

> Personally, I have no plan to depend entirely on a tablet or handheld.

2 years ago, it would have been unthinkable that I would buy a tablet
computer. The latest info I have is that sales of tablets have reached
about 72 million units in 2011. My guess is that it will continue to
grow for the next few years.

The kids will have no problem with a hand-held device as their primary
computer. Adults will resist but the reality is that a tablet with an
open OS can be sold for $200 or less. Desktop PCs and iPads cannot. I
can guess the outcome when buyers are faced with the choice of a either
a $600+ desktop or something less than half the price. In the future,
we'll all be doing the unthinkable.