Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Doug Miller[_3_] Doug Miller[_3_] is offline

Default More on De-Alc

On 1/3/2012 7:07 PM, shbailey wrote:
> On Jan 2, 7:53 pm, "Tom > wrote:
>> Has anyone ever tasted any de-alcoholized wine that doesn't taste like grape
>> juice?

> I had a Sutter Home product called Fre' a number of years ago that was
> quite good at least for the varietals I tried. Wine is more than
> grape juice with alcohol in it. There are distinct changes to the
> flavor profile that are due to fermentation that aren't directly
> associated with alcohol. Those flavors are still there in Fre'.

Most of those flavors are due, not to the fermentation process, but to
the *aging* process -- which consists mostly of the various carboxylic
acids present in the juice reacting with the alcohol to form esters. No
alcohol = no esters = dramatically less complex flavor and aroma profiles.