Tom S

Default Pinot Noir

"ernie" > wrote in message
> I've recently become a fan of commercial pinot noir, and I'm thinking
> of picking up some grapes this fall, since I'm not far from several
> prime pinot regions in northern California. But pinot noir has a

reputation
> for being cranky, difficult to work with, challenging even for experienced
> professionals.
>
> Is this true? Has anyone here had good results or particular difficulties
> making pinot noir wines (from grapes)?

Pinot Noir has a tendency to spoil if it is not tended properly - perhaps a
little moreso than other varietals. Apparently it contains _all_ the
nutrients spoilage organisms need to thrive. Keeping barrels/containers
topped up and sulfited adequately takes care of this problem quite
effectively.

I've noticed that Pinot Noir tends to go through phases in its development -
mood swings, as it were. One day it'll taste simply wonderful; the
following week you'll wonder "what the hell happened to my wine?". It can
jump around like a Chihuahua on caffeine when it's young, but eventually
settles down. Reminds me of some women I've known. ;^D <ducking and
covering>

I'd say that if you have access to good fruit (and it sounds like you do)
it's well worth the trouble to make.

"Bordeaux is the wine of gentlemen, but Burgundy is the wine of kings."

Tom S