Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Time for defrosting

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:00:50 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> > wrote:
>
>> > Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
>> > evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. Were I in a hurry
>> > I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
>> > door... repeat as needed.
>> >

>> I'm not going to agree on this but I'll admit it's been at least a
>> hundred years since I've had to do that unpleasant job.

> I hated it too. When I had a stand alone upright freezer, I'd unload
> it into Igloos and leave the door open to defrost it. It was in the
> basement, but it defrosted enough in a few hours that I could easily
> pull off any remaining ice and wash/wipe it down.

I had an upright fridge/freezer that required defrosting and it wasn't such
a big deal for me. In those days I didn't keep much food at all in the
fridge and rarely anything in the freezer. I could make do with a cheap
Styrofoam cooler and some blue ice. Took about 2 or 3 hours at the most and
I did it twice a year.