Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Time for defrosting

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:16:20 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>On Dec 29, 10:46*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>>
>> what the heck are you folks doing? *Just turn a fan on and let the room air
>> circulate into the freezer. *It will defrost likity split, and big chunks of
>> ice will fall off.
>>

>I gotta agree; this is the best method if you don't have a frost-free
>freezer.

Actually a fan will likely slow thawing... a fan will increase
evaporation therefore *lowering* the temperature. Were I in a hurry
I'd place a large pot of boiled water into the freezer and close the
door... repeat as needed.

People who think their old fashioned defrost units cost less to
operate are fooling themselves, the smallest ice build up decreases
efficiency and as the ice is allowed to become thicker and thicker the
unit becomes more and more inefficient. I've owned the kind of
refrigerator freezer that needed defrosting and I can attest to the
fact that they do not save power, and due to the ice build up they
don't hold foods very well, and most folks don't defrost them until
the ice builds to an intolerable level. There's no savings, none.

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.