Posted to rec.food.cooking
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default Time for defrosting

On 12/29/2011 7:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> My fridge is just about empty so time for an easy scrubbing for that
> beast. The top freezer doesn't have much in it, so easy to scrub that
> out quickly. That one is self-defrosting.
>
> My downstairs freezer isn't a no-frost one, and it's been cold enough
> outside to think about putting most in a couple of coolers outside to
> get it done.
>
> What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
> boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
> First time for this since getting the freezer.

Our freezer is in the garage and I use the boiling water in a kettle
method. Could you put boiling water in a crock pot turned on high?

Husband once showed me how to defrost our former freezer with a hair
dryer. It worked well except he melted one of the door shelves enough
so it sagged a few inches. I went back to boiling water.

gloria p