Posted to rec.food.cooking
Polly Esther[_2_] Polly Esther[_2_] is offline

Default Time for defrosting

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:12:12 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>>What's your best method for defrosting a freezer? I usually use pots of
>>boiling water, but this freezer is downstairs, the kitchen is upstairs.
>> First time for this since getting the freezer.

> My favorite method is to have my wife do it. My second favorite is to
> use anything warm. Boiling water is good, but hot water from the sink
> helps too, if one is nearby.
>
> Do you have a hair dryer? That can add some heat to the box and get
> things started.
>
> Just be sure never to get anxious and start poking away with sharp
> objects. Many a freezer has been ruined that way.

But FIRST ! put a pan beneath the freezer and lay the little hose drainer
thing in it; then open the stopper/whatever ( if any) that lets water run
into it. You want the deepest pan you have that will slide under the freezer
and you want to check on it frequently. Polly