George

Default Unexpected something showing up in the wine

"John Q. Lurker" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone. Quick question(s)
>
> I just bottled my first batch on Friday. Today I started to put the
> capsules on. I put the first one on, and when I was done, there was a
> whitish fibrous matter floating in the wine (this happened right after I
> inverted the bottle). I thought maybe it is a precipitate that evolved

from
> the heat and that it would regain solubility after a short while. No

good.

> So I am thinking--do some corks have an amount of wax in them? That would
> explain it, but I surely don't know. If so (or if else), how do I keep

this
> from happening as I put my other capsules on.

I'm new to making wines but came across a possible explanation:

Did you use "no soak" corks and either soak them or use a heat gun to put on
the capsules? The no soak corks are pre-treated with a silicon compound.
If you soak these corks then you can end up with silicon residue in the
wine. I'm guessing too much heat could cause a similar effect although I
may be putting two and two together and getting five. :-)