Old 01-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Ray

Default Weak Cab Needs A Lift

Actually I serve a lot of my mediocre wine to friends and the rave about it
and ask for more. I am afraid if I served my good wine to them they would
educate their palate and I would have no outlet for my mediocre wine. Then
there are the friends who know the difference.

I don't serve bad wine to anyone. I am not being mean, just practical.

Ray

"Paddy-O" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Hi Ray...

I agree... I don't like blending good wine with bad wine. It just makes
for a lot of 'tolerable' wine. My preference would be to add a little
concentrate and put it more SO2 (2-3 Campden tablets per 23L Carboy ) to
prevent further fermentation. I fully realize that regardless of how
much 'doctoring', this Cab is never going to be something I will serve
to my friends. I have 8 other carboys of very good wine (2 are
exceptional) that is bulk aging as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pat (Paddy-O)

Ray wrote:
If you add concentrate without restarting fermentation you are going to

end
up with a low alcohol sweet wine. If this is what you want, fine. If

you
try to restart fermentation you are going back to time zero as far as

bulk
aging and with low SO2 this may not be good as it will be a long time

before
it is aged again.

You could make another wine and blend it but again it would be a long

time
before it is ready and if you make a good wine, it is never a good idea

blend a good wine with a bad. You just end up with more bad.

If it is not too bad you might blend it with some fruit juice and make
something of the fruit cooler type like the Island Mist wines. If you

do
this and bottle it you are going to have trouble with protecting against
restarting fermentation without SO2. You could just do it at the time

you
drink it.

I do not filter my wines but if you are no using SO2 you may want to get

good filter that will remove all the yeast and then adjust what I have

said
above accordingly.

Ray

"Paddy-O" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Hi... I just subscribed to this newsgroup today. Many posts are very
interesting.

QUICK BACKGROUND
I have about 50 gallons of Red Cabernet wine that is bulk aging.
Several of the grapes that this wine was made from were not fully
rippened. It fact, several were downright 'green' At the time of the
crushing/destemming, my winegroup buddies and I were not versed in how
you can extract more color, tanning, et al, during primary fermentation.
As a result, the extraction colour was very poor. In fact, the cab
has the color, consistency and flavour of a very pale blush. My wife
makes stronger fruit juice for our kids from frozen concentrate than
this years batch of Cab.

In addition to this, I tend to keep my SO2 levels, in all of my wines.
I do this because my wife is quite allergic to any sulfa medications.
Yes... I KNOW the consequences of not using sufficient Campden tablets!

Question:

Another winemaking buddy suggested that I purchase some grape
concentrate in a commercial wine kit and add it to my pathetically weak
Cab. In theory this sounds fine but my Cab has already been oaked for
several months, undergone Melolactic fermentation, finned, and cold
stabilized. It is now just bulk aging. By adding this new concentrate
into my Cab, am I not risking that fermentation will once again occur?
While I have not tested my SO2 levels, I know that they would be low.

Can anyone tell me what the possible benefits as well as risks are?
Remember, I tend to underuse sulfite because of my wife's allergies, but
I am extremely conscious about equipment sterilization/contaminants.

If I do introduce the concentrate, what would be the recommended

amounts?

All thoughts are welcome.

Paddy-O
(great newsgroup!)