Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Prime Rib

"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>
>>I consider the meat composition more important than the fat content.
>>
>>-sw

> Fine. Then eat it.
>
> Gene

I think meat composition and fat content are tied together irreversibly. The
calf is born on a ranch. The calf eats grass. At some point the calf
becomes adult. At this point the beef would grade as USDA Select. Cows may
be sent to a feedlot where they eat corn. During this feeding period the
meat changes. Readily visible fat content increases along with other
biochemical changes in the meat. At some point the cow becomes USDA choice.
Increased corn feeding results in USDA prime meat. There are most likely
other parameters that create different meat characteristics and the ultimate
taste. Diet, however, is the fundamental one.

Kent