Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Adaptations of Holiday Favorites

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 12/22/2011 10:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
: > On 12/22/2011 1:25 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
: >> On 12/21/2011 8:58 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
: >>> that does bother me, and in my circle of friends/work mattes, it always
: >>> ticks me off big time, we can translate into spanish a meal blessing,
: >>> but
: >>> its always a christian prayer, i know of several of our managers who are
: >>> jewish or... grr seik, not sure thats spelled right, why not a nice
: >>> jewish
: >>> blessing or seik prayer for once, Lee
: >>
: >> having spent my life on a journey from one faith to another (as i
: >> believe most are saying the same thing, essentially), i think it would
: >> be GREAT to hear a Jewish blessing in English, or a seihk (i can't spell
: >> either) blessing....... but...... in a language i understand
: >>
: >> that's gonna be the harder part
: >>
: >> kate
: >
: >
: > I once said the Jewish blessing on bread at a potluck with mostly
: > Christians present. I said it in Hebrew then translated it into English.
: > Everyone talked about my "grace" for weeks.
: >

: ohhhhhhh i would have loved the translation

: i've heard many Hebrew blessings, but i don't understand Hebrew...... i
: would love to hear the love and kindness from the perspective of another
: group who believes in (entity of choice here)

: kate

The bread blessing is a very universal kind of blessing. "Blessed are you
oh God, King f the Universe, who brings forth bread from the earth." The
one for wind is similarly neutral, "Blessed are you oh God, King of the
universe, who created the fruit of the vine." There are a number of
jewish blessing over differnt things, assorted kinds of foods, seeing a
rainbow, seeing something beautiful, etc, tht aare simple, like this. One
of my favorites, and one that is usesd on many occasions like holidays,
putting on a new garment, having the first fruit of the season(like the
first local tomato or peach, which goes "Blessed are you oh God, King of
the Uuniverse who has kept us in life, and has preserved us and enabled us
to reach this season."

With these three, yu can go a long way.

Wendy