Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Glass or ceramic baking sheets?

On Dec 20, 4:30*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Dec 20, 12:26*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 20, 11:09*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > In my mango dessication project I am seeing m,y need for a non-
> > > reactive glass or ceramic baking sheet, preferably with raised edges
> > > like my old steel baking sheets. Google does not seem to know what
> > > "glass baking sheet" means, and turns up all kinds of crap, like
> > > Cephalon, Pyrex *steel* baking sheets, etc.

> > > Does anyone know of a good source for true glass or ceramic coated
> > > steel baking sheets? About 12x16 inches or so would be best.

> > If you can do without the raised edges, try your local glazier.

> I wouldn't put anything in my oven other than borosilicate glass.
>
> I wonder if a pizza stone would fill the OPs bill.

I can get the raised edges put on at my local glass shop. Pretty cheap
if I supply the form. They put flat glass on the form, put them into
an oven (kiln) and sag the glass to shape. Then they have to cool it
very slowly, and it's done. Very little ovenware in the US is
borosilicate glass nowadays. Real borosilicate is suitable for
stovetop use. "Pyrex" is just a brand name now. Corning licenses it
out.

From Wikipedia: "The European manufacturer of Pyrex, Arc
International, uses borosilicate glass in its Pyrex glass kitchen
products; however, the U.S. manufacturer of Pyrex kitchenware uses
tempered soda-lime glass. Thus Pyrex can refer to either soda-lime
glass or borosilicate glass when discussing kitchen glassware, while
Pyrex, Bomex, Duran, TGI and Simax all refer to borosilicate glass
when discussing laboratory glassware."

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.