Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Robert[_13_] Robert[_13_] is offline

Default A feijoa wine/cider recipe with no sugar

"misanthropic_curmudgeon" >
wrote in message
> Gentlefolk,
>
> All the recipes for feijoa wine of cider that I can find seem to have
> buckets of sugar and water added to them, which is not something that
> sits too well with me: does anybody know of a recipe for feijoa wine
> or cider that does not have any added sugar (or why they all seem to
> 'pad out' the recipe with sugar and water?)
>
> (I'm considering emulating my apple cider recipe (juice them, ferment
> them, bottle them, leave them, and drink them!) but I dont know how
> that would work out with feijoas!)
>
> Advice? Recipes? Answers?
>
> Cheers!

Most fruits do not have a high enough sugar content to reach a desired
alcohol content. That is why you need to add sugar to bring the specific
Gravity up to around 1.09-1.10. How much depends on the fruit. You need to
also check that your acid level is between .50-.65% (tartaric) adjust with
an acid blend (1 teaspoon per gallon to increase .01%) or calcium carbonate
( 2.5 grams per gallon to decrease .01%).

The best site I have found on the web for wine recipe's is Jack Keller's
site.
Here is his recipe for Feijoas wine

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques31.asp

Cider wine 1 gallon ( from Winemaker's Recipe Handbook)
14-16 LB Apples or 1 gal juice
1/3 LB. Sugar ( S.G. around 1.09-1.10 )
1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1/2 tsp. Yeast Energizer
1 campden tablet crushed
1 pkg. of Wine yeast

For more then one gallon just multiply the ingredient by 2- 5 except for the
yeast one package will work for 1-5 gal.

Robert