William Frazier

Default Titration error

Pp. - I should have asked first if the company you bought the juice from
gave you starting Brix (or S.G.), pH and TA test results? If so how did
these numbers compare to yours?

> I thought that's what I did, apart from testing several samples. The
> juice was at room temperature and I mixed it well. How long do you
> have to wait for the acid to go back into solution?

I don't know how long it would take for acid to redissolve. It's not
instantaneous. If I suspected acid had precipitated out of solution and I
was real concerned about knowing the actual starting TA I would do one of
the following;

Let the juice warm to room temperature and stir it up real well. Take 4 or
5 samples from different places in the juice. If the juice is very well
mixed the test results should be close even if all precipitated acid is not
totally dissolved.

As an alternative you could decant the juice off any settled material. This
way there would not be anything to redissolve. Then after testing you could
adjust TA and be confident you have a valid starting number.

Also, for
> clarification - I'd need to take the several samples over some time,
> right, otherwise I'm just measuring whatever the acid level is at the
> moment, no?

No. You want to know what the acid level is at the moment before you start
fermentation. Take multiple samples so you know if the TA is uniform across
the batch of juice. Keep in mind that I'm the type of winemaker that does
lots of tests, so I can better understand what happens in the winemaking
process. I enjoy the testing and all other aspects of winemaking. The more
I learn about wine the more I need to know.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas