Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Do you have a Christmas Menu?

Sounds like a wonderful idea. My aunt used to take a little girl from a
kids' home every school holidays. At Christmas she gave as much to the
little girl as she did her own 4 kids including enough new clothes to
last a year. Took her to the beach, zoos, museums, parks, whatever -
even their annual family holiday. When she first started I was quite
young but I heard murmurings, like why spoil the kid so much when she
would have to go back to the home after that first wonderful Christmas.
But my aunt took that little girl until she was old enough to leave the
home and live independently and they still have contact. She would be
late 50's now (the little girl). I always hoped they would adopt her but
I don't know if they ever considered it or if they did there was some
reason why they weren't allowed to. But the girl had as close as the
real family thing in her life for quite a few years that she may never
had had.

One of her daughter's (my cousin) worked for years in a home for adults
with intellectual disabilities, on an island! as paymaster and every
Christmas she brought one guy home for Christmas lunch, ditto Easter,
his birthday and other times just for a weekend. He has sadly passed
away now but he thought my aunt, cousin and the rest of their family
were his family Even though my cousin was an adult he called my aunt
"mum"