Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally[_2_] Kate Connally[_2_] is offline

Default Baking cookies, cakes etc: ON pizza stone or on open rack?

On 12/16/2011 11:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 4:22 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> I'm kinda lazy. I leave the pizza stone in the oven all the time,
>> unless the cooking vessel just won't fit on it. Is it best removed
>> for, say, a sheet of cookies?
>> Any caveats if I leave the stone in the oven as to time and temp? I
>> theeeenk I have read that the baking is faster on the stone than on
>> an open rack. What say you?

> Baked goods will always turn out better with heat mostly coming from the
> bottom. I don't use stones but being able to place the food directly on
> the surface of a thermal mass is a good idea. Cookies, and light cakes
> are an exception to this and it helps to insulate the bottom of the
> cookies from direct heat using parchment paper or by using an insulated
> cookie sheet.

It's been my experience that cookies baked on insulated cookie
sheets don't get done enough.

> Dark colored pans are important for good results for baked goods. If you
> use stones or a baking sheet as a heat sink then silver pans would work OK.

And, it's been my experience with dark pans that they get overdone or
burnt on the bottom.

I'll stick with plain "silver" aluminum pans.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”