Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Maple Wines that I can order in the USA?

On 12/19/2011 06:12 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
> Rush Creek winery in Canada makes a nice maple wine. Unfortunately,
> they are not allowed to ship it across the border into the USA. Are
> there any maple wines that are made in the USA, or made by companies
> that have gone through the headaches necessary to export to the USA?
> I am talking about wine fermented FROM maple sap or syrup here, not
> wines made from grapes and sweetened with maple--those you can get
> in Vermont.
>
> And please, don't tell me how easy it is to make my own. To make
> alcoholic beverages at home requires 1) a basement, or at least some
> space somewhere, and 2) some knowledge of what one is doing.

I collect maple trees and grow over 200 species and cultivars. So I do
know something about maples, and am interested (in an intellectual sort
of way) in this concept of "maple wine." I confess it is hard to see in
what way this is "wine," though. Most maple sap is high in sugar, so of
course you can ferment it. Of course most species aren't much higher
than, say, birch trees really.

I'd be interested in trying the vodka cwdjrxyz mentions. Again in an
intellectual way as I'm not a vodka drinker.

I looked this up and I can't guess they let it ferment very far, I
imagine it still has quite a lot of sugar in it.

As an aside, why "produit du Canada" and not "produit de Canada?" Why
"vin de erable" and not "vin d'erable?" Makes no sense to me!

Good luck finding your drink.

-E