Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gene Gene is offline

Default Prime Rib preparation

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:05:16 -0800 (PST), tutall >
wrote:

>On Dec 9, 9:28*pm, "Gene" > wrote:
>
>> I kosher salt the outside of each steak and put them on a wire rack in the
>> fridge for about 2 hours, plenty of time for osmosis to do it's thing
>> (pulling some of the moisture out of the meat and then soaking back in
>> taking some of the salt with it)
>>
>> After 2 or so hours, remove the meat (still on the rack) and place on
>> counter to come to room temperature (this does 2 things, it helps the meat
>> to cook evenly and keeps the meat from sticking on the grill).
>>

>Doing a prime rib for Christmas dinner, was thinking to do something
>like this as prep.
>
>In the oven, not in the grill. Prime rib soaks up too much smoke (did
>one indirect with lump). Been there, done that.
>

>Any ideas? Just thinking do this prep, but thinking with a larger cut,
>that overnight might be better. But would it be too much?

Overnight or not won't matter as the salt will not penetrate for than
a half inch or so.

If I understand correctly, you are doing an entire roast, not separate
steaks.

If you have the time, why not dry age the roast. You will lose 10-20%
of the weight so be sure to get enough.

Pat the roast dry, place on a wire rack in the fridge over a baking
sheet.

Let sit for 2-5 days.

When ready to cook trim off all the dried ugly hard stuff. Roast as
normal.

Dry aging will intensify the beefy flavor and for some are a tad too
strong.

Gene