Caribbean Sweet Bread
Bake and enjoy a tasty slice with butter to complete the ‘Sweet Bread Experience.’
3 cups of flour
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tsp. of mixed spice
3 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 cup of mixed peel
3/4 cup of milk
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp. of vanilla essence
1/2 cup of currants
1/2 cup of chopped cherries
2 cups of grated coconut (young fresh coconut recommended)
1/2 cup of margarine
1. Mix baking powder and flour and sift.
2. Add coconut,sugar, raisins, cherries, peel, spice and margarine and mix thoroughly.
3. Separately combine milk, vanilla essence and egg.
4. Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix until liquid is fully incorporated.
5. Pour into greased loaf pans.
6. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
7. Place pans in oven and bake for 50-60 minutes (use tester).
8. Mix 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of water.
9. Remove pan from oven and glazed with sugar mixture.
10. Return to heat for 5-10 minutes.
*Caribbean Food Recipes*