Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog[_2_] Anders Tørneskog[_2_] is offline

Default Scharzhofberger Fiene Auslese Nikolauswein 1970, Koch

"cwdjrxyz" > skrev i melding
>I bought several bottles of Scharzhofberger Fiene Auslese Nikolauswein
> 1970, Koch, shortly after release and have tasted it over the years.
> This bottle had no issues and was stored properly. The cork was still
> holding well, but it had to be mined out in small pieces because it is
> very fragile in old age.
>
> Early on, this wine was somewhat grapefruit-like with considerable
> mineral character with plenty of acidity somewhat on the harsh side.
> It was rather sweet and rich, but the sweetness was nearly hidden by
> the high acidity. Then it fairly soon became dumb and changed little
> for over two decades. About 10 years ago it slowly started to mature.
> The wine now is close to the peak, but could improve a bit more. It
> likely will easily hold to an age of 50 years or more if it is
> properly stored and the corks hold.

An amazing description of an extraordinary wine. I'd like to have tasted
such a wine, mature after near 30 years of development and 20 years of
dumbness!.

And - it is 'Feine' - pronounced like 'fineh', meaning fine. A German
would pronounce 'Fiene' like 'feeneh'.

Anders