Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Favorite cake

I never liked any cake that was light and airy-it has to be dense and
heavy for me to like it. For flavor, I don't like carrot cake, or german
chocolate cake, or spice cake. I bought one of my favorites
today-Deutsche Kuche Amaretto Liquer Dessert Cake. I buy it from Aldi's
this time of year. Small cake, fortunately :-)

I have never been able to make my mother's Wesson oil cake-it's either
the oven, the pan, the way oil has changed, or a combination. But she
always baked it in a 1950's 9x12 metal pan, then refrigerated it. I was
always fascinated that it has no eggs or dairy in it. Always had real
chocolate icing on it-I asked, she doesn't remember how she made the
icing. I cannot stand commercially sold frosting-blech!

Wesson Oil Cake
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa