Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Sassicaia, Pelago, and Port

On Nov 28, 6:31*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Nov 28, 3:23*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > nice notes.
> > When did they start making Sassacaia, do you know? I've seen some late 70s, but not sure if they started earlier.

> I found some information in Hugh Johnson's Modern Encyclopedia of
> Wine. Mario Incisa della Rocchetta first planted Cabernet Sauviugnon
> at his estate Tenuta San Guido in 1942. His Sassicaia became known as
> one of Italy's best CSs in the late 1960s, But I have not found when
> he first used the name of Sassicaia for wine from his estate. Mario
> passed away in 1983, and then his son Niccola took over.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenuta_San_Guido for much more
information. Sassacaia was first made in 1948, but it was for the
family only for many years. Fame grew in the 1960s, but small
commercial amounts were first released in the mid 1970s. Back then it
was only entitled to be called a table wine. Today there is an
official DOC that includes it.