Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Sassicaia, Pelago, and Port

On Nov 28, 3:23*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> nice notes.
> When did they start making Sassacaia, do you know? I've seen some late 70s, but not sure if they started earlier.

I found some information in Hugh Johnson's Modern Encyclopedia of
Wine. Mario Incisa della Rocchetta first planted Cabernet Sauviugnon
at his estate Tenuta San Guido in 1942. His Sassicaia became known as
one of Italy's best CSs in the late 1960s, But I have not found when
he first used the name of Sassicaia for wine from his estate. Mario
passed away in 1983, and then his son Niccola took over.