Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Usenet going out of fashion

On 28/11/2011 4:49 AM, Feranija wrote:
> On 27/11/11 09:10, George wrote:
>
>>> The big guys, ATT and Verizon dropped newsgroups a couple of years
>>> ago. Sadly, we lost a lot of regular and good contributors that did
>>> not sign up for other services. That increase the noise to signal
>>> ratio too.

>> Not to mention comcast. But they did it for the children...

> Cox Communictions, AOL, and Time Warner Cable too dropped Usenet
> alltogether citing high maintainance cost and low consumers' interest in
> newsgroups.
> Although there are independent free and commercial Usenet providers,
> tens of millions of people only in U.S. have lost access to newsgroups
> from their ISPs. They have massivelly migrated to web forums.

The migration to web forums has been the trend here for probably more
than ten years. I'd be interested to see the usage figures for usenet at
my ISP, Optus. No doubt it would have reflected a long slow downward
trend. I know that many of the hobby usenet forums in which I once
participated have become entirely devoid of relevant posts.

--

Krypsis