Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Speaking of school lunches

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:32:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>ImStillMags wrote:
>> A fabulous article about being the "kid with the stinky lunch".
>>
>> http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/11/15/...ch/?hpt=hp_bn8
>>
>> I remember being laughed at for some of my brown bag lunches. I
>> wasn't the foreign kid or the
>> brown kid or the black kid in the class either.
>>
>> Did any of you take things to school for lunch that got you picked on
>> or laughed at?
>>
>> I loved this article, especiall the part about the smart teacher who
>> used a kids misery to teach
>> the class about other culture's foods.

>I was rarely allowed to bring lunch. But in elemenatry school I wanted a
>fancy lunch when I was allowed to bring it which was maybe once a month.
>Thankfully by the time I reached Jr. High my mom had the misfortune of
>eating one of those school lunches. She never made me buy again. Heh!
>Anyway... I remember bringing a hard boiled egg and a salt shaker in my
>lunch. Not sure now what else I put in there. But my salt shaker commanded
>a lot of attention.

Our school lunches were very good... I suppose ones perspectve
depended on how picky an eater one was. But one had to keep in mind
that it was only a school lunch, not a 5 star resto meal. A typical
lunch was sliced pot roast, mashed potatoes, a side of broccoli...
there was milk, fresh fruit, and cookies or a slice of pound cake,
maybe even jello. I remember my favorite were the soups... to this
day I slice a tube steak into my tomato soup. I'd sometimes bring my
own lunch in my Hopalong Cassidy lunch box... was typically left overs
from dinner... I really liked school lunch better. I was a good eater
so the lunch ladies liked me and took good care of me.