Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Turkey on America's Test Kitchen

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:59:39 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>> Every year, like clockwork, I launch into a crusade explaining the
>> virtues of roasting turkeys breast side down for the bestest most
>> moistest turkey ever.
>>

>> -sw

>Ok, ok. Don't get your nesting box straw all torn up. I've not done
>it and it does sound a bit 'dangerous.' I'm eager, truly, to read how
>you get the bird on it's back without suffering a burn or the hair
>raising possibility of it ending up on the kitchen floor. So please
>explain as I *would* like to know.

First step it to get a pair of heat resistant rubber gloves like these
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichle...155382&sr=1-22

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-Ins...155605&sr=1-28

When ready to do the flip, you can either take the roasting pan out of
the oven or you can pull the oven rack out far enough to slide the pan
out into the open. Then just grab the bird at each end and give it a
quarter turn. Put it down and give it another quarter turn.