Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Janet Janet is offline

Default Eat those Carbs! The ADA says you should!!

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Do you have a reading comprehension problem? They didn't say to eat
>>> more carbs.

>> There is no need to be rude, Julie. My reading comprehension is just
>> fine. Perhaps if you think a bit more about the implications of what
>> was said you will get my point.
>>
>> As far as quoting the ADA website is concerned, it's like the bible:
>> you can find something there to prove virtually anything you want.
>> It is obviously designed for maximum deniability. For the real
>> message, I suggest reading the page[s] where they talk about "tight
>> control." How they define it, and the degree of danger they ascribe
>> to it, and so forth.

> It's not like the bible to me! To me the bible is merely a
> meaningless book. I'm an atheist!
>
> I don't need to reread anything. The OP said to eat *more* carbs. I'm
> sure it didn't say that at all.

I don't "believe in" the bible in any religious way either, Julie. That is
not the point. The point is that, like the pronouncements of the ADA on
their website, it is frequently cited as an authority to support someone's
opinion. And because of the way it is written, you can find justification
for almost any course of action there if you wish. Ozgirl quoted from one
part of it--I assume that's where she got that text, anyway--and I suggested
that she go look at another part of it, which says something quite
different.

Since you insist on being literal minded to a degree that doesn't admit the
existence of metaphor or simile, I suggest you go back and reread my posts.
Then show me where I said "more." In fact, a simple glimpse at the thread
title will tell you that I used the word "those."

The article from Remedy, puporting to be from JHU, quotes various
authorities in stating that it is dangerous to go below 130 gms of carb per
day in the long term. I would venture to guess that would mean that the vast
majority of T2 diabetics who are controlling their HBA1C below 6 using diet,
exercise, and perhaps metformin, would indeed have to eat significantly more
carbs to meet their recomendation. It certainly would mean that for me.

But frankly, I think the ultimate goal of Remedy Health Systems and big
pharma and all of the medical industrial establishment is to make big $$.
And one of the best ways to do that is to push T2s on to expensive
medications. They aren't going to make big $$ if T2s control their BGs
without taking all of those expensive drugs that, according to studies,
perform no better than the cheap generic: metformin.