Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default The End Of Free Grocery Sacks

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:02:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"MotoFox"
><confucius-say@enlightenment!to!him!lead!it!for!bangpath!foll ow!man!wise.UUCP>
>wrote in message ...
>> Quoth Julie Bove~
>>
>>> Here in the city of Edmonds, plastic bags are no longer given out. I
>>> don't know if they will give out paper ones but they urge you to bring
>>> your own. We have been doing this for years now. Exception is Winco.
>>> Many stores will give you a discount for bringing your own. They don't
>>> do
>>> that there and you have to bag your own. Just easier and quicker to use
>>> their bags and I do sometimes reuse those plastic or paper bags.

>> Yeah, a WHOLE NICKEL at Fred Meyer's!
>>
>> Personally I think the supposedly "re-usable" cloth bags are far harder on
>> the planet than good old (what the ma$$ media seem to be under the
>> impression are "single-use") plastic bags. What they don't tell you about
>> is how you have to launder/bleach them after each use lest they harbour
>> bacteria and other undesirable things, especially when used to carry raw
>> meats.
>>
>> Frankly, I think plastic bags are far more of a multi-use item and the
>> fabric bags are just a miracle of marketing intended to appease a few
>> naïve tree-huggers. Didn't stop them from banning them in Portland, tho.
>> (Another reason I'm glad I don't live down there any more.)

>I do not wash mine after each use and I never use bleach. I am careful if I
>buy meat. But I don't buy a lot of meat. And most stores put out the thin
>plastic bags that you can put the meat in. My produce is also in plastic or
>paper bags. So there is nothing that touches the bag that would contaminate
>it. I also use these bags at clothing, shoe and drug stores.

So with all those individual bags what's the point of not using
plastic shopping bags.. it's just a stupid POLITICAL move so the
politicos can give themselves attaboys/girls... plastic shopping bags
definitely place far, FAR less strain on the planet's ecology than
reuseable cloth bags. And those who don't launder them are complete
imbeciles. There was a documentary on TV recently that explained how
dumb cloth shopping bags really are. The thing is that people who
live in filth don't realize they're slobs, they really don't see that
they are walking landfills.... and there are a LOT of those creeps...
most people are disaster areas.