Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_5_] Nancy Young[_5_] is offline

Default The End Of Free Grocery Sacks

On 10/24/2011 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote

>> few cents worth of bags. My wife and I each carry a supply of reusable
>> bags in our cars. I prefer them. I can stick my groceries in 3-4 bags
>> where I would have had a dozen or more, some with only one or two
>> items. It is so much easier to manage.

> I do the same. I prefer the cloth bags as they hold more, are easier to
> carry ,stand up better in the car.

I love them, I wish I had a better batting average for bringing
them into the store with me. Most of the time I remember.
I can carry a lot of stuff if I have the sturdy cloth bags, this
way I can just leave the cart at the store.

I use the plastic bags for emptying the vacuum cleaner bin,
maybe for a few other things like chicken in the garbage.
Most of the time I have an annoyed wad of the things I never
remember to bring back to the store for recycling.

I do put meat in a plastic bag just because I don't want
even the packaging touching my other stuff, but that's just
a thing with me.

> Like most households, we do have
> plastic bags around. None go into the trash without at least one
> secondary use. I take my lunch in them, line small trash cans, etc.
>
> The free bags certainly are not free.

The way some cashiers hand them out you'd think they were.
I bag my own groceries but if the cashier helps, I wind up
with almost empty bags. Annoying.

nancy