Rick Vanderwal

Default raspberry wine advice

I'm going to assume that the proper TA would be around .65 for a fruit
wine....

I do think I would like a larger volume of wine....
2 gallons for all those raspberries and all that work will only yield me 10
bottles, and if it turns our really good, I'd rather have 15 or 20 rather
than 10.... I once had some raspberry wine and it was HEAVENLY! Very
rich, balanced, strong raspberry flavour. This past summer I had some
raspberry wine and you could barely taste the raspberry....I definitely
would like to have it closer to the first one I tried and not the latter....
So I want to keep a strong flavoru concentration...

One thing I also did last night I forgot to write about....I took all the
pulp and seeds that I had extrated using the Victorio Strainer and the Berry
screen....so, absolutely no seeds in the juice... But I took the seeds and
leftover pulp, put it in a straining bag, and poured hot water over it,
extracting all the nice red colour and aroma from the remaining pulp. I'll
only leave it on there one day or so...so I don't pick up any strange
flavours from the seeds. So that might be another 1/2 gallon of
"juice"....not as strong as the extracted juice, but still pretty
flavourful.

Thanks for your ideas. Will still welcome other comments if there's
anything else to add by anyone. Thanks again.

Rick Vanderwal
"Ben Rotter" > wrote in message
om...
> Rick Vanderwal wrote:
>
> > 1. Use the two gallons to make two gallons of really rich wine?

> Being an advocate of 100% juice wines I'd say go for it! But *as long
> as* you can produce a balanced wine from that juice. I would recommend
> you check your TA and reduce with carbonate if necessary.
>
> > 2. Dilute it to make a larger quanitity, but less acidic wine? And

if
> > so, how much water should I add for dilution? Could I add double the
> > water, to bring the total to four gallons? or even five? But would

that
> > water it down too much?

> When raspberry wine is diluted, it's often reduced in concentration by
> 3-5 times. If you are diluting for balance reasons alone, as you
> indicate: I'd again suggest you check the TA and dilute only enough to
> give a reasonable TA, but no further. There is no point in diluting
> beyond that and then having to add acid blend, unless your aim is to
> change the acid profile of the wine.
>
> > 3. Buy a can of Oregon pure seedless raspberry puree and add it to

what I