Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Open concept? Your opinion

"jmcquown" wrote:
>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>> "Polly Esther" wrote:
>>>"jmcquown"
>>>>
>>>A friend of mine broke her leg and could not do the stairs in their home.
>>>The only bathtubs and showers were upstairs. I don't know (or care) what
>>>she weighs but it took her husband and two neighbors to haul her up for
>>>bath
>>>time. Another friend had hip replacement. She had to sit on her stairs
>>>and
>>>haul herself up one step at a time. She was a good sport about it and
>>>their
>>>4 dogs thought it was big fun. I'm sure both of them didn't realize that
>>>having only a half-bath on the first floor could spell such trouble.
>>>Polly

>> This sounds like a contrived fairy tale... all one needs is a sink, a
>> bar of soap and a wash cloth to take a bird bath... which is typical
>> with ones leg in a cast.

>Sure, that's all one needs... but it's not exactly the most satisfying way
>to bathe. I like to take a nice hot shower. And I have hair, so I wash it.

True, but with one's leg in a cast a bath and even a shower isn't
practical... no matter how one tapes plastic bags they will invariably
leak. And hair can be washed in a sink, hair salons only wash hair in
a sink... most kitchen sinks nowadays have a sprayer hose, so in an
emergency it more than suffices. My bath shower head is detachable,
I've leaned over the tub to wash my hair with the hand held shower...
and the hand held shower makes cleaning the tub a breeze. I used to
have a WaterPic hand held but after many years it died, the plastic
body cracked and couldn't be sealed with glue, so I bought one made by
Delta, it's the best one I've ever used anywhere... anyone needs a new
shower head this is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/Faucet-75580-I...8256118&sr=8-3

>When my parents built this house Mom thought a deep jetted tub was the way
>to go. It was de rigeur (HGTV didn't even exist back then). She was only
>about 10 years older than I am now. It got to the point where the tub was
>too tall for her to step into. Hell, it's hard for me to step into. I got
>a handle that attaches to the side of the tub so I can hold onto something
>and get in and out of it easily. Face it, when you're 20, 30, 40, you don't
>think about stuff like this. People don't plan on getting old. That's a
>big mistake.

Well, no one knows what the future has in store, one can become
debilitated at any age. I try to keep as much as possible easy
maintenence both inside and outside. I see no use for a jetted tub at
home (probably yoose gals luv em), just something that takes more
effort to clean and maintain, and if a pump dies can be a nightmare...
I only shower anyway... I think the last time I took a tub bath at
home I was five years old... I've taken spa baths at hotels but to be
honest I don't see the point, they are a big waste of hot water and I
don't want to soak in my own dirty bath water.