Tom S

Default Agglomerated Corks

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tom S" > wrote in message

m>...
> > "JEP" > wrote in message
> > om...

> > I've done that already, to my satisfaction. Red wine ages just fine

under
> > screw caps. Mine was a 1984 vintage Cabernet that I tasted ~15 years

later
> > at the same time I tasted the same wine that had been cork finished.

The
> > difference was slight; perhaps even imaginary.
> >
> > Tom S

> Thanks, Tom.
>
> Could you give a little more info on the wine? Acid level. Tannin
> level when young. Impressions on how the wine aged.

IIRC, the acid was ~7g/l. It was quite tannic in its youth (1984 vintage) -
even after fining. During aging, the wine dropped out a lot of tannin and
softened considerably. I still have some magnums of the cork-finished lot,
and it's still good AFAIK. It's been a couple of years since I tasted it,
but it had plenty of life then. I should open a magnum over the holidays
come to think of it.

> The one area that I'm still not convinced that screw caps are better
> (I'm not saying they aren't better, only that the jury is still out)
> is wine that is made to be aged 15 years before it's even
> approachable. Granted, there is not a lot of this type of wine made,
> but IMHO it is worth the wait.

My reading indicates that even if wine is hermetically sealed in glass
ampoules, it still ages. Screw capped wines do also.

Tom S