J Dixon

Default Agglomerated Corks

Tom,
I use Nomacorcs, and I have them on about 25 cases that I bottled three
years ago. I would say that the few that I have tested averaged about 10-15
ppm in SO2 loss in that time. I would attribute some of this to the bottling
process to, and I have been very happy with the product. Extraction is just
as good as the day I put them in, and the seal is quite good. The only
"problem" I have had are 2 things: If you dont compress the cork and drive
it rapidly (with a floor corker) you get a pronounce dimple. My work around
for this has been a quick dip in a sulphite solution as I place the cork in
the corker. This really makes the corks slide in like magic and they look
great. I think the small addition of sulphite cant hurt either. The other
issue I had was the jaws from my corker leaving lines in the side of the
corks that looked like a leak could develop. I sanded the sharp edges with
wet/dry sandpaper and it solved that issue although I have never had a
leaker. HTH
John Dixon
"Tom S" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I tested Supremecorq and liked them, with the qualification you should
> > bump your SO2 at least 10 PPM. I lost that within 3 months, but it
> > stayed constant over 5 years.

> Joe -
>
> Just so that I'm clear on what you said above, does that mean that the

free

5
> years? I'm considering using Supremecorqs on my wine this year.
>
> One of the others I've looked at is NuCorq. The data I've seen on SO2
> retention for them is good, but the strong wording of the disclaimer on
> their website has me worried.
>
> I agree that the price of natural corks is ridiculous, but 'taint my

primary