Lum

Default Sweetening & Renewed Fermentation

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> (Jack Keller) wrote in message

. com>...

> > Finally, Lum, Roberta's article is a classic and ought to be published
> > at least here at least every six months. Please feel free to do it
> > whenever appropriate. That's one broken record I can suffer through
> > for the benefit of those just joining us.
> >

> Sorry Jack and Lum,
>
> But, I don't think that study proves anything. It does not take into
> account aging unfiltered vs aging filtered. Don't get me wrong, I'm
> not promoting unfiltered wines, nor promoting filtering, I think each
> has it's place depending on wine style, but that study is just plain
> flawed. It doesn't match what would happen to a wine based on the
> decision to filter or not.
>
> If I take a bottle of '82 Lafite and filter half of it now, no, I
> wouldn't expect to taste a difference between the filtered and
> unfiltered wine, but would the wine be the same if the wine maker had
> decided to filter it 20 years ago?
>
> The world may never know.
>
> Andy

Andy,

I agree that an experiment such as this can't address what will happen to
filtered wine in 20 years. But, it seems to me that Roberta's experiment
does prove that a tight filtration did not significantly change the near
term characteristics of _those_ particular wines. Perhaps the most
important aspect is that an experiment was done. Measurements were made,
data was collected and analyzed and the results presented. That's a lot
different than speculation.

Regards,
lum