Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Yay!

On 9/25/2011 8:54 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 11:42 AM, Beti wrote:
>>> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
>>> lock on it. :-)

>> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
>> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
>> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>>
>> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
>> really makes a difference.

> Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to do that. I've never done it
> before, but I'll give it a try.
>
> Serene

It works to a certain extent in our home, I follow the list, wife
doesn't. So, periodically I re-inventory both freezers and the pantry.
We live in hurricane territory so have extra stocks of food that doesn't
need a lot of preparation. Starting in December we will eat those up and
then restock next June.

I'm not OCD Lee, just like to know what I have on hand at any given
time. When She Who Must Be Obeyed was in charge of the kitchen I would
sometimes find three or four boxes of the same item in the pantry, she
didn't use a shopping list. My shopping list is set up each aisle at the
local Kroger store and has the named items that we use the most plus
blank spaces for occasional use items. Computer generated and
religiously followed. When she goes with me to shop, a rare thing, I
find stuff that wasn't on my list in the basket, she is an impulse
shopper. If I have coupon for an item that is marked on the list with a
"C." Since Kroger puts special coupons I have selected online on my
shopper card I have to double check before I go shopping.

Well, maybe I am OCD after all. <G>

Do any of you inventory your home preserved goodies? I do, way to many
descendants not to keep track.