Paul S. Remington

Default Alcohol shrinks brain & no stroke benefits

It's quite possible you really aren't using the brain cells you're
killing, as you stated. I have MS and my brain MRIs show spots like
landmines where my immune system has attacked my brain.
Interestingly, all the areas that are scarred are areas I'm not using.
So, I notice nothing in terms of physical/mental abnormality. ('cept
the loss of my left eye... it attacked my optic nerve.)

With this study, I'd have to ask my neurologist about the area of the
brain that's being affected. Is it really a volatile area? Having a
disease like this, you learn that there are many areas of the brain
that can be affected with no discernable repercussions. But the
reverse is true, too… there area areas of the brain that are
incredibly sensitive.

What's interesting is what others noticed; the study makes no claim
that alcohol causes brain atrophy. The actual cause of the atrophy
has yet to be determined.

-Paul