Paul S. Remington

Default Alcohol shrinks brain & no stroke benefits

Marijuana is said to do the same thing.

It's commonly accepted that stimulating the brain with cognitive tasks
helps build neural pathways that increase brain mass. The reverse is
also true; living a sedentary existence and not stimulating the brain
results in a lack of neural development. This is why the elderly are
encouraged to do crossword puzzles and other "thinking" tasks; it
helps keep their mind sharp.

Alcohol and marijuana both have a relaxing effect. Alcohol's a
stimulant prior to being a depressant. Most who partake in these
drugs don't do so with the intent of tackling brain-stimulating tasks.
These are usually "social" drugs, although some people use them as a
sedative and their brains are not exercised when "under the
influence."

So, in this study, is the loss of brain tissue a result of alcohol
consumption or is it a combination of other things? Perhaps each
person's lifestyle in tandem with alcohol consumption contributed to
the loss of brain tissue.

Interesting topic… where is the study published?

-Paul