Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread prices (was Yay!)

On 9/25/2011 5:22 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 9/25/2011 3:45 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
>> In >, gloria.p
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
>>> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf.

>> I remember earning $0.65/hr. So a loaf of bread took about 15 minutes
>> to earn.
>>
>> Average wage here is around $16/hr, and a commercial whole wheat loaf
>> is about $2.50.
>>
>> Seems to me the price of bread has gone down...
>>

> It's all relative. That bread here is $3.49-4.99 and I am retired on a
> fixed income that's less than a $6/hr. equivalent.
>
> Inflation is a killer when you think you have saved more than enough for
> retirement.
>
> gloria p

That's why I still do tech writing Gloria, can do it from home and send
it to the client by email. Beats going out to work. Miz Anne is now
retired from teaching and is paying more attention to her art, big sale
and show coming up next month at the local country club. People that can
afford that place should be able to cough up some good money for fine art.