Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Looking For "Chewy" Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe-Not Soft Or C...

On Sep 25, 10:39*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
> (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>
> > No satellite dish, but do have cable and get LOTS of channels, but I
> > never watch daytime TV, except occasionally will watch the judge shows
> > (in part) that are on in the morning, but not for long. I watch very
> > little TV, as are other things I'd rather do.

> > Depending on how many years ago this guy was on TV too, as went from '74
> > to '87 without TV, as just felt it was better for our four kids to not
> > be staring at the boob tube all the time, and they thanked us later for
> > having the cable disconnected. Hubby and I sure never missed it, but now
> > I would, but I'm still very selective what I watch, and don't watch any
> > of the cooking shows, etc.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Brown
>
> He is still on tv, and has been for over ten years. *He has written
> several cooking books.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Alton was on at night. Not only did he have great recipes but he
would give you hows and whys of recipes and not just tossing out
ingredients and throw the concoction into the oven. And if you'd be
willing to watch a few cooking shows you'd have a lot of your cooking
questions answered. Tv is not the boogey man you imagine if you are
selective in what you watch and that goes for monitoring what children
watch as well. Some, not all, of the cooking shows can be quite
informative, much more so than 99% of those 'judge' shows you watch.
Most of them are in the Jerry Springer category.

Most tv cooks will just tell you they've been preparing such and such
recipe for years and it's a family favorite. Alton would tell you how
oil reacts at different temperatures, why some small appliances are
better than others, what a brine to does to meat, what an egg does for
a recipe, and many, many, many more things. You get an understanding
of why you get the results from a certain dish if you do this instead
of that, etc. And he makes it all very entertaining.