Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread prices (was Yay!)

On 9/24/2011 7:16 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the
>> bread group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

> Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
> critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
> bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)

Think of them as extra protein. <G>

> BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
> decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
> more. There weren't a lot of choices.
>
> -Bob

I'm a good bit older than you Bob and I can remember bread that was
about fifteen cents a loaf or less. When Miz Anne and I married
fifty-one years ago we could go to the supermarket and fill two carts
completely full of food for about fifty bucks. I was making $3.50 an
hour back then with lots of overtime, shift differential, and holiday
pay. We thought we were really well off if we had thirty cents left over
after we paid the bills.

I hit the used bread store down the street frequently now. Generally on
a Monday I can buy Nature's Own and other brands of bread for roughly a
buck a loaf. Buy two or three at a time and freeze them. Beats paying
over three bucks for a staple.

I made a loaf of whole wheat, totally whole wheat, no bread flour in it
at all. Came out great, will be making that recipe again in the bread
machine. One loaf is to much for the two of us so I cut them in half,
bag, and freeze half of it. If it don't the loaf will mold, even in a
bag, as our humidity lately has been somewhere between 80 and 100% most
of the time.