Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Maple Syrup

On Sep 24, 9:31*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Sep 24, 1:18*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>

> > Ranaee wrote:
> > >We never buy any thing _but_ real maple
> > > syrup. Grade B. Our children have
> > > rarely had anything but real maple
> > > syrup. I think the flavor is so superior, it
> > > is worth the expense. It has a smokey
> > > taste that we like. Kind of like coffee.
> > > Not to mention not having any corn
> > > syrup in it. If I want corn, I'll eat some
> > > corn.. I get it Trader Joes, because
> > > that's the cheapest I can find it. It is
> > > expensive, but we don't use it often
> > > enough that I worry about the expense.
> > > One bottle lasts our family of nine over
> > > two months. And we do keep it in the
> > > refrigerator.'s

> > Gee, I'm learning all kinds of things here...I didn't realize syrup was
> > graded?! Interesting. That may be why I don't care for the pure stuff,
> > as the only thing I want to taste smoky, is smoked fish (yum) as I like
> > a stronger more "mapley" flavor, like Log Cabin, and I also use Mrs.
> > Butterworth's occasionally. I buy maple syrup for recipes that call for
> > it, but for things, such as pancakes and waffles, I reach for the good
> > ol' Log Cabin, which is now in bottles. Anybody remember when it
> > actually came in a tin, shaped like a log cabin, or am I giving my age
> > away?! :-)

> > Judy

> Log Cabin uses artificial maple flavor, I'll bet! Yeah, my mom bought
> it and that's what I ate growing up, but then I discovered real maple
> syrup! No comparison!
>
> John Kuthe...

As I remember it, Log Cabin had 5% maple syrup when it was in those
cans, then it went down to 3%, and eventually, none.That's called
progress. Food chemists got better and better at synthesizing "almost"
flavors.

Jerry
--
"The rights of the best of men are secured only as the
rights of the vilest and most abhorrent are protected."