Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Yay!

On 9/24/2011 2:42 PM, Nad wrote:
> The > wrote:
>
>> That only works if the other people who use the freezer are willing to
>> do that. At one time I had our chest freezer organized with like
>> things in a plastic basket. Now things just get tossed into it. I am
>> sure that we have a number of things in there, but they are probably
>> in the bottom. Since it needs to be defrosted maybe I can start
>> organizing again.

> I do not believe the new owner will have your organizational problem.
>
> I have your problem in which I regret, you may not, my "Chest" freezer that
> is located in my basement. It is next to impossible to organize it.
> Eventually what you want is in the bottom.

Many years ago we had a 30 cubic foot chest freezer. Purchased some wire
baskets to go on the bottom of the freezer, it already had wire baskets
for the top row. That saved a lot of problems. I hunted and fished a lot
back then plus we had a few acres under cultivation all the time. Not to
mention, the cow and calf, milk and meat goats, chickens, ducks, pigs,
and a fish pond. The baskets helped us stay organized. We could slide a
top basket aside and reach the bottom ones. We also had a 15 cubic foot
upright, like you said, lots of shelves. We would often move things from
the chest storage to the upright. The top freezer on the refrigerator
was reserved for things we need on a daily/weekly basis.

Nowadays we have a fifteen cubic foot upright and the one over the
fridge, both are full at the moment but will empty out fairly quickly.