Negodki

Default Legality of winemaking in TN

"Tom S" > wrote:

> Pardon my French, but your ex sounds like a bunghole!
>
> I'm sure the atf.gov site has the law spelled out in great detail, but it
> amounts to this:
>
> A maximum of 100 gallons of wine or beer per year, per adult resident (to

> maximum of 200 gallons total) may be produced at home for consumption on

the
> home premises. There is no tax on this production. You are not permitted
> to distill the product.
>
> This law was in effect even during prohibition, and remains so today -

even
> in dry states. Needless to say, the sale of wine grapes was very healthy

in
> those days.

The BATF regs can be seen at
http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/inf...ages/24_75.htm.

However, the current law (allowing home production of beer and wine) did not
go into effect until January of 1979. The specifics of alcohol enforcement
were left up to the states, and not all states took their anti-homebrewing
laws off the books. Homebrewing is still explicitly illegal in a number of
states, and its legality is unclear in a few more.