Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sticker shock at the store again!

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/22/2011 2:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> cut kiwi in 1/2
>>>
>>> use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind
>>>
>>> done!!
>>>
>>> kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved
>>>

>> Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she wants
>> pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would have
>> tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut back
>> the
>> trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were
>> really
>> good pears.

> I remember something about growing your own pears: They tend
> to be best about two days before they fall off the tree. They
> tend to develop a gritty texture if you wait until they fall
> off the tree.
>
> In the future, you may want to ask your husband not to have
> all the trees cut back at once.

Yes. The year that we had the bumper crop, we gave tons of them away. And
do you know what people told us? We had to throw them away. They weren't
ripe! Gah! And I told them all when I gave them out that they needed to
let them sit for a couple of days and then they would be ripe.